NAZA M/M lite GPS module.

tips and info for the Naza M

Moderator: 1275mini

NAZA M/M lite GPS module.

Postby MrRob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 am

This may sound like a stupid Q but!
Is the GPS module for a NAZA M and a NAZA M lite two different things? I see a lot of GPS modules for sale and most say they are for NAZA M lite.
Looking at the DJI web site I can see any info on this question

Please help! Thanks

Rob
MrRob

Re: NAZA M/M lite GPS module.

Postby Alex2m » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Very valid question, that I have asked myself many times. One is red, the other orange ... is that it? The fact that they are exactly at the same price seems to rule out components differences...
Alex2m

Postby G6EJD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:18 pm

A GPS module is a GPS module is a GPS module. Most of these units are the UBlox GPS receivers and the interfaces are near identical in every one on the market, there is some standardisation. Only differences likely are default serial baud rate and number of satellites it can receive - usually more than 30 is a higher spec. and speed of acquisition and sometimes the addition of a non-volatile memory so it can acquire lock in about 5-secs from cold, other then that it is safe to assume (connectors apart) they are all identical.
G6EJD

Postby Alex2m » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 pm

That's precisely what I was thinking -- so it should be possible, say, to buy a Naza-M Lite with GPS and then buy a V2 and use the same GPS -- anyone tried that?

The other question I have is, if one was fool enough not to get the video downlink and OSD from DJI, and say use EzOSD or the telemetry functions of the FrSky receiver, do you have to have a second GPS receiver?
Alex2m

Postby pawelsky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Alex2m wrote:That's precisely what I was thinking -- so it should be possible, say, to buy a Naza-M Lite with GPS and then buy a V2 and use the same GPS -- anyone tried that?

I have Naza-Lite with GPS and just ordered v2, so I'll be able to confirm it (to my knowledge there is no difference in the GPS module electronics at all)

Alex2m wrote:The other question I have is, if one was fool enough not to get the video downlink and OSD from DJI, and say use EzOSD or the telemetry functions of the FrSky receiver, do you have to have a second GPS receiver?

You can use Arduino and NazaDecoder library to get data from the Naza Lite GPS and use it with other OSD or telemetry system. So far I've been using it with Minim and Remzibi OSD and it works just fine.
pawelsky

Postby pawelsky » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

pawelsky wrote:
Alex2m wrote:That's precisely what I was thinking -- so it should be possible, say, to buy a Naza-M Lite with GPS and then buy a V2 and use the same GPS -- anyone tried that?

I have Naza-Lite with GPS and just ordered v2, so I'll be able to confirm it (to my knowledge there is no difference in the GPS module electronics at all)

Confirmed. Naza-Lite GPS works with Naza v2
pawelsky

Postby G6EJD » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Good to hear and thanks for tellings us. It would have been odd for DJI to manufacturer a separate GPS. Also, it's cheaper to buy a NAZA Lite with GPS than a NAZA GPS module, what's all that about other than marketing...
G6EJD

Postby Rilot » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 am

G6EJD wrote:Good to hear and thanks for tellings us. It would have been odd for DJI to manufacturer a separate GPS. Also, it's cheaper to buy a NAZA Lite with GPS than a NAZA GPS module, what's all that about other than marketing...

Well, the Naza V2 unit has ORANGE lettering on it. That's what you way for. Orange paint is expensive.
DJI S800 EVO - A2, iOSD, X140BS gimbal, 2.4GHz ground station.
DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D, Immersion vTx, iOSD Mini
DJI F550 - Naza V2, H3-2D, iOSD Mini, Graupner 9x5.
FrSky Taranis
http://www.rilot.co.uk - Achieve an elevated view
Rilot

Return to Naza-M