Install AVL58 video link to upgrade kit on phantom

Phantom 1 Chat, Queries and Advice.

Moderators: Richard, 1275mini

Re: Install AVL58 video link to upgrade kit on phantom

Postby Mercury2768 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:48 pm

I bought an fpv mount on eBay like this http://m.ebay.com/itm/251368660557?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1 although I have yet to try it out. I also made my rx removable by buying a female 3.5mm jack and wiring that into the video outs from the board and same with the power with the tjoin or deans style connector.
Mercury2768

Postby HokieBirdOne » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 pm

That looks like a good solution, but doesn't the antenna need to point down? That's what it says in the manual.

I've seen some clover leaf antennas that bend, but the one that came with my avl58 does not.
HokieBirdOne

Postby Mercury2768 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Yea I was curious about that too, although if you are flying it away from you, I feel like you'd have better reception if it's aimed back toward the rx. Honestly, I don't know. I'm waiting on my power cable to test it out.
Mercury2768

Postby gustav » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 am

I did what is described in earlier posts in this thread (but I discovered them when I had already done my mod)

BUT this didnt work at all for me, ending up with somewhat fried board on the phantom. I removed the battery quickly and removed the DJI transmitter and
started everything up and all seems fine and I didnt seem to have damaged any circuits regarding flight controls. (havent found out yet if the video distribution part of the board is fried though, probably yes)

Ok so what did I do?

I cut away the ultra dean plug on the transmitter cable in the image showed earlier in this thread. Soldered these correctly onto the main board, directly to the soldering points where
battery is attached. Red for + and black for -

I cut away the barrel connector and soldered ground (brown) and video (yellow) and leaved the red cable as is.
This did NOT work. I have attached an image for you to see if I messed something up. (probably yes) but what?

I know it is a messy soldering and there is no shrinking tube but this was a first test and at the time for testing I duct taped the soldering points (ofcourse not together)

When firing up I already had the transmitter cable in the transmitter. But it never fired up judging from the fan (maybe it only starts when needed?) anyhow, something did
fire up literally and I removed the battery after 3 seconds when immeditely I would smell flux.

Any ideas here?

image-phantom.PNG
gustav

Postby jpdegamboa » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Same problem here, please help. I have absolutely no knowledge or experience installing electronic things. I can do it if I see a diagram or a video on how to instal the AVL58 on the Phantom with the zenmuse. Please someone, make a video on this!
jpdegamboa

Postby Mercury2768 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Mercury2768

Postby gustav » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Mercury, could you explain how you connected the wires and take some photos INSIDE the phantom?
gustav

Postby Mercury2768 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Ok so not the greatest pictures but I wanted to make my whole cable removable in case I wanted to use the transmitter on something else which is why I bought the female connectors as you can see in the pictures. The only thing that would cause a problem is if you soldered the power incorrectly. The video feed - if you mess up the ground and video you just won't get a signal. Be sure to check you didn't accidentally swap the + and -
Mercury2768

Postby Mercury2768 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Also the transmitter has a fan that goes on yes and will always be on when it's powered so that's normal.
Mercury2768

Postby jpdegamboa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:36 am

I got my DJI Phantom with Zenmuse H2 and Upgrade Kit from BHphotovideo.com and those guys installed almost everything for me, but not the AVL58 that I also bought from them.

Ok, what I've found so far is thar the Upgrade Kit have a cable ready for the video link. That cable consists of 3 little cables (YELLOW, RED and BROWN).

Captura de pantalla 2013-12-15 a la(s) 21.29.47.png
Video link cable from Upgrade Kit

That those cables can connect the video and the power to the AVL58 replacing the provided cable as this guy says in minute 7:
http://youtu.be/oHITo99sZjE?t=7m2s

The AVL58 have a 8 pin input. So what I've done so far is to destroy the AVL58 Tx cable to try to use the 8 pin end to the 3 colorful cables from the DJI upgrade kit.

la foto.JPG
AVL58 8 pin cable piece

I found this connection diagram
11052012DJI58gantennaB.jpg
Connection Diagram

I bought a soldering gun and I am ready to use it!

Now I have absolutely no clue on how to connect 3 color cables to 8 pins. PLEASE HELP!
jpdegamboa

Postby Mercury2768 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 am

You shouldn't use the red cable to power the Tx - it should be powered from the main battery. I've talked with several guys and they've all said the same thing - something about the voltage not being correct or something out of the red wire.

If you look at that connection diagram you really are only going to use four lines for the battery (+ and -) and two lines for the video (ground and video). The battery lines are pretty obvious, two negative and two positive. I'm not sure where the channel control will connect (which is the whole reason I didn't cut my cable and made it plug and playable) so you're on your own there, but the video - you connect the video ground cable from the transmitter cable 8-pin cable to the brown cable from the main board, and the video output line from the 8pin to the the yellow cable from the main board. Make sense?

Also check out the review "Jeff the Phantom Addict" which has a more detailed explanation if you need help: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... o_kit.html
Mercury2768

Postby jpdegamboa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Problem Solved! I followed the AVL58 cable colors and connected them using this guide.

http://hobby.i-drone.com.au/wp-content/ ... -guide.pdf

Thank you all
jpdegamboa

Postby gustav » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:52 am

Progress...

It turns out to be the stock cable that comes with the AVL58 that is fawlty. The positive cable (red) is negative and black is positive. This is probably
why I burnt some stuff up. Found this info on B&H reviews of the AVL58:

"jreod" wrote: Turns out the red wire on the transmitter cable harness WAS NOT positive, for some reason red was negative. This is WRONG and made no sense. It goes against DJI's standard as well as the general standard around the world.

"jreod"s experiences about the AVL58 is quite similar to what happened to me.

His complete review of the avl58:

Does not come with any detailed installation instructions or patch diagrams or pin-out diagrams.

The 8-pin harness cable that came with the transmitter came stock with dean connectors. My DJI phantom doesnt use dean connectors, so i cut it off and decided to solder the red wire directly to the positive battery lead and black to the negative on the Phantom's motherboard. However when i powered on the Phantom a plume of smoke came out of the bottom of the Phantom. My AVL58 Transmitter was fried instantly as well as my iOSD mini module since they were interconnected.

The transmitter and iOSD mini now both reak of burned/melted plastic/electronic components.

Turns out the red wire on the transmitter cable harness WAS NOT positive, for some reason red was negative. This WRONG and made no sense. It goes against DJI's standard as well as the general standard around the world.

Beware! test and thoroughly research before doing any custom wiring!

Credits to jreod,
gustav

Postby anticipate » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:32 pm

My first post!

I had the same problem. The wiring harness that came with my AVL58 was cross wired. Red was neutral, not positive, and it ended up blowing (complete with burn marks) up a resistor next to the 4 pin plug on the circuit board.

(One of the little philips head screws on the arms came stripped too... so I can't even open it up fully to replace the board.)

The thing flies fine... only the FPV link was fried. Still... now I have to buy another Phantom 2 to get FPV and I am not happy because it's not me who cross wired the harness! Incidentally, I received a replacement transmitter thinking at first it is what blew... and it's power harness is different. I still don't know if it's cross wired inside though and wouldn't trust it.

I wrote UAVProducts for help since I bought it from them and they started ignoring my requests for help. Not happy.
anticipate

Postby uavltd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I can't believe I have found this post after having the exact same issue with my F550 just a few hours ago.
I connected the power to my F550 and a ploom of smoke came from the iosd and the cables started setting alight.

I have taken everything part and could not understand what I have done wrong.
Having read your last two posts about Red being negative it is obvious that this was my issue as well.
I cannot understand how DJI can do this when red is the standard for positive in all DJI hardware and most other electronic wiring.

You mentioned you got a replacement transmitter, did this come directly from DJI or did you go back to your dealer?
I'm not sure what to do now as I have a dead transmitter and dead mini iosd.

I must say it is a releaf to know other people have had the same issue as me because of the same stupid DJI cockup.

Thanks,

John
uavltd

Previous

Return to Phantom 1