Looking at a Tarot T 2D...

Phantom 1 Chat, Queries and Advice.

Moderators: Richard, 1275mini

Looking at a Tarot T 2D...

Postby courghan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Hello guys, I am new to the Phantom business but I know I will get a gimbal if the aerial video shooting works as I hope :) I read fairly good comments on the Tarot 2D, at a fraction of the Zenmuse, which seems to have loads of problems too.

I found it on Hobby-Kings at a good price (as far as I know)...as anybody bought from them? is that all I need to get it to work on my phantom? Or do I need any other bits (I guess the tilt control is extra?)?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oller.html

Thanks
courghan

Re: Looking at a Tarot T 2D...

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Tarot is a great gimbal. Comes either as a "kit" or I think they charge $45 for assembly and calibration (money well spent). My experience with them has been great and my Tarot got to me here in the US in a matter of three or four days.
SubHuman

Postby Avant_adam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:34 pm

I have this gimbal and completed the pitch control tonight. I highly recommend it, a little bit of assembly but fantastic in use. Totally smooth.

Got mine from china via eBay which was a little bit of a long shot. Turned up after a month and a couple of emails saying it had been withdrawn!

The only issue is that the gimbal is slightly taller than the space under the phantom, so I have to take off from a little platform. Plan to put some foam on the skids to lift it up about 5mm.

No experience of zenmuse, think it is lighter and more self contained but haven't good experiences about the installation or reliability. So far so good with this.

Adam
Phantom V1 -flying for fun
Avant_adam

Postby Gizmo3000 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

hands down the best bang-for-the buck brushless gimbal. (there's a few which costs less, but require more tinkering)
Gizmo3000

Postby jezza1983 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 am

You'll need an adapter plate, which you can get off ebay - there is one who is a US seller (he makes them himself)
jezza1983

Postby CaptainKid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:51 am

So far I can't fault it - very smooth and easy to fit (if you have the plate).

Once attached it worked straight away although I did update the firmware (not sure why as it already appeared to be fine) which was a bit of a struggle but ok once I followed the instruction 'properly'.
CaptainKid

Postby jinspin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Great buy. For hundreds less than zenmuse the Tarot does same or better smooth quality. And after bunch of crashes with Phantom the tarot still tick tocks just fine and durable. Very happy with it.
instructions stink and firmware upgrade was pain. Just remember to power gimbal AFTER running firmware.
jinspin

Postby fastcat7 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Now only £95.08 from the link below,

http://www.banggood.com/Tarot-Gopro-2-A ... 82497.html

that's now £5.00 cheaper than last week when I bought one. :cry:

fastcat7
fastcat7 Lighter is faster
fastcat7

Postby Avant_adam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Brilliant value at that, you wonder how they do it so cheap because it doesn't seem cheaply made.

Get one.

Adam
Avant_adam

Postby Skylane765 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:54 am

I got one, but can not get the software to do the firmware upload. I do SE the firmware download but don't I need a program to run it? Where do I get that for win 7?
Skylane765

Postby courghan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Skylane765 wrote:I got one, but can not get the software to do the firmware upload. I do SE the firmware download but don't I need a program to run it? Where do I get that for win 7?

I think you'd be better off creating a new thread asking for help on this rather than posting in this one...
courghan

Postby Skylane765 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 am

I got mine going and have tilt working with no firmware or SW upgrade. The directions do not come with it and some parts were missing in my kit. But it is worth the money.
Skylane765

Postby Avant_adam » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

Likewise - I enabled tilt without doing anything to the software. Indeed, I have yet to try to interface with the Tarot gimbal as it seemed to work straight out the box (with power). I am not sure whether to attempt to upgrade and risk failing or leaving it - if it ain't broke, and all that.

I did plan to try and set the tilt limits and I am also going to have the control for the tilt select a position rather than just a speed of travel in a particular direction. That said, being able to slowly pan the camera up or down is quite nice for smooth shots. Not sure I could manually pan it as smoothly. The tilt control is still sufficiently novel to have not worried about it. That and the fact I am waiting for a new shell to come.

Adam
Avant_adam

Return to Phantom 1