How To install a Futaba T8J on a DJI Phantom

Phantom 1 Chat, Queries and Advice.

Moderators: Richard, 1275mini

Re: How To install a Futaba T8J on a DJI Phantom

Postby jimbo43 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Gizmo,
It looks from the dominator instructions that u plug you goggles into the back of the T8J plus another card is required in your goggles
Phantom V1; tarot 2D gimbal, GoPro Hero 3 black edition; ImmersionRC EZosd; ImmersionRC 600mW tx; 8" carbon fibre props. F550; Spectrum DX8 TX with both telemetry and altitude information Both use Dominator FPV goggles and monitor with twin diversity
jimbo43

Postby Nutz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Futaba to Phantom.pdf
pdf
(80.03 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Would any kind person have a hardcopy of the parameters for programming the Futaba T8J Tx please?
I am finding it difficult to follow the instruction on video. If anyone in Surrey has done it, I would be prepared to travel.

Thanks.

Update (8th May 2013).... Since a hardcopy doesn't seem to exist, I've made a file of all the parameters that you can download. Would be grateful if someone could comment if I've got anything wrong, or if there are better solutions and additions to add - I will then update! It seems we can now add PDFs, so it has been posted as per link above.

I didn't add the gimbal settings yet (as I don't have one). Not tested with Phantom 3.1 firmware.

Update 21/06/13: I have the Arris CM2000 V2 gimbal - will post a PDF on settings for Futaba T8J in the next few days
Last edited by Nutz on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nutz

Postby garseng » Wed May 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Nutz wrote:Would any kind person have a hardcopy of the parameters for programming the Futaba T8J Tx please?
I am finding it difficult to follow the instruction on video. If anyone in Surrey has done it, I would be prepared to travel.

Thanks.

Update (2nd May 2013).... Since a hardcopy doesn't seem to exist, I've made a file of all the parameters that you can download. Would be grateful if someone could comment if I've got anything wrong, or if there are better solutions and additions to add - I will then update! Perhaps the mod can explain why PDFs are not allowed? A stupid decision! If you want the file, you may need to PM me until we have mods that live in the 21st Century.

Thanks in advance for all your kind help!

Heyy bro,

I just purchased this t8j, n if u kind enough I would like to have the soft copy of the parameters..

:D thxx
garseng

Postby Nutz » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm

PDF is now enabled. Please comment if I have got anything wrong with the parameters. I will update as new firmware becomes available. Will add gimbal settings about mid-June.
Last edited by Nutz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nutz

Postby Richard » Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm

testing the PDF attachment...
Attachments
NM_User_Manual_v2.6_en.pdf
naza m user manual pdf version 2.6
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Richard
Site Admin

Postby Nutz » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Did the upgrade to Futaba T8J today (according to my post of hard-copy instructions, as posted above), and I'm am pleased to say it works very nicely. Ensure RX is firmly in place - I used double sided sticky pads. Twin aerials should be at 90 degrees (one down leg, the other across internally). Tested switches - all OK including failsafe. Ran Phantom battery to zero and it landed gracefully. Just wish take-off wasn't so aggressive, but this seems like a firmware issue - don't like it! New LEDs indication - wait patiently before launch until you have no amber flashing lights - it may take a few minutes but it won't fly away! I always do a compass reset before flying every time - it takes just 30 seconds and helps preserve £1000 of equipment.
Nutz

Postby uavltd » Thu May 23, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Guys,

I just installed my 14sg using the receiver from the 8FG as I know this one works with the phantom and after settings it all up the phantom seems to be twitchy. It takes off ok but when its flying it seems to be making small adjustments all the time and doesn't seem as smooth as before.
Any ideas what might be wrong? I tried following the videos as well as I could but the menus on the 14sg are very different to the 8.

Thanks in advance.

John
uavltd

Postby Nutz » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm

uavltd wrote:Hi Guys,

I just installed my 14sg using the receiver from the 8FG as I know this one works with the phantom and after settings it all up the phantom seems to be twitchy. It takes off ok but when its flying it seems to be making small adjustments all the time and doesn't seem as smooth as before.
Any ideas what might be wrong? I tried following the videos as well as I could but the menus on the 14sg are very different to the 8.

Thanks in advance.

John

Sorry, but I don't know 14sg. Was it running OK before changes? Are props balanced? Try advanced calibration and note settings are 'in-range'. Switch from GPS to ATTI mode (GPS is always trying to make adjustments). Good luck!
Nutz

Postby Gizmo3000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm

jonesy wrote:You can only fly for 10 min remember!... I cant see the point in adding a futaba or similar
long range radio gear to the phantom myself.... If flight times were 20-25 minutes, i would
consider it ;)

That comment makes no sense at all, as flight time has nothing to do with the need for a higher quality/more functional transmitter.
it's not solely about range, but it's also about having more control and features - like a timer, trim functions, p-mixes, and extra knobs and switches!

I discovered an improved method of enabling failsafe with the D-Switch that doesn't take over channel 8, check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smN776CAnRc
Gizmo3000

Postby jimbo43 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm

My stock controller has a RTH switch its called the on/off button :)

Sorry just had to get that one in but yes you get extra range but the main thing is you get a better signal strength which is the main advantage guys so at 300 metres with the stock u are pushing it, but the futaba still has plenty to go.

I like the spektrum dx8 myself but each to there own I guess
Phantom V1; tarot 2D gimbal, GoPro Hero 3 black edition; ImmersionRC EZosd; ImmersionRC 600mW tx; 8" carbon fibre props. F550; Spectrum DX8 TX with both telemetry and altitude information Both use Dominator FPV goggles and monitor with twin diversity
jimbo43

Postby Nutz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Above 2 comments are dead right. The basic Phantom TX costs a paltry £40 whereas Futaba costs £220. What do you get for the extra? A superior RX, greater range (battery time is not important), extra channels, more switches, mix, better gimbal control etc.
Nutz

Postby izzy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:56 am

Wheels, thanks for the how to videos. A couple of questions, though:

1) WHy did you select "Acrobatic" mode instead of "Helicopter"? What is the difference?

2) If I want to remove the "Fail Safe" feature, do I simply need to change AUX-CHAN>CH08 to "NULL"?

Thanks,

-izzy
izzy

Postby Nutz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Gizmo3000 wrote:
leatherlips wrote:It's easier than you think.
But you pretty much nailed it,. in Channel 5, switch it from null to the VR switch, and viola, it works! (the gimbal will still tilt with the gyro's, but will be pitched up or down additionally based on the VR knob.
")?

Can you help please? I've just bought the Arris CM2000. No issues with powering it. But if I want pitch and roll, where do the 'data' wires go - is it to the Futaba RX or the Naza, and which pins?

Thanks.
Nutz

Postby Hong Kong Quad Guy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am

The latest NAZA firmware upgrade puts the stock switch from GPS to Atti to RTH now. Problem solved!! :D
Hong Kong Quad Guy

Postby Gizmo3000 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:51 pm

-well, if you look at all the parameters involved, these Quads and the controls the need are more similar to Airplanes than Helicopters. There are a lot of unnecessary specific options that can be ignored, but even more craziness if you look at all the options in Heli mode.

- yes,. to easily turn off the failsafe switch, (based on that tutorial) make Chan8 Null, or just go to the p-mix and change it to INH so it's unused.

- yes, the latest NAZA firmware update allows you to use Failsafe on the GPS/ATTI switch, so there's less need to set up failsafe on the D-switch..
.. unless you plan to fly in manual mode and/or you want to locate failsafe on another switch.

-sorry for the delayed reply Nutz,.didn't see your question,. to set up Tilt and Roll for the Arris,. plug the pitch/tilt wire to the top pin of Chan5 on the FutabaRX,. ground to the very lowest pin of Chan 5, and you can connect Roll up to the top pin of Chan 8.
tho doing so will conflict tho with the original Futaba setup video's which also occupy Chan 8 to setup Failsafe,. so that's why I came up with the no-Chan8 failsafe setup, or just omit the failsafe section and just have failsafe on the GPS/ATTI switch
Gizmo3000

PreviousNext

Return to Phantom 1