NoMoJello + Stiff Props + UBEC + Software = Good Video!

Phantom 1 Chat, Queries and Advice.

Moderators: Richard, 1275mini

NoMoJello + Stiff Props + UBEC + Software = Good Video!

Postby Phantom Muppet » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi All,

Its seems I have finally got to the point where I am happy with the video from the Quadframe gimbal and GoPro 3.

Its been many steps since having a static mounted GoPro, loadsa jello and wobbly footage. Steep learning curve but here is yesterdays results.

The gain on the pitch probably needs to go up a tad, but without going to a brushless gimbal it probably won't get that much better.

Was quite windy though to it could improve a little.

Only other thing to try is the Hi Tec servos.

Phantom Muppet

Re: NoMoJello + Stiff Props + UBEC + Software = Good Video!

Postby Outlaw Graphics » Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 pm

looks good to me :)
Outlaw Graphics

Postby G6EJD » Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Well very acceptable results from your setup, I think the most important take-away for me is the power of the slow motion. If I was wanting to view a property, the last thing I'd want to see is a video that was dashing around the scene so I could not take in what I wanted to see and for me your video is just right.

It looks like it's about 1/3 of original frame rate, perhaps 20 or 24 fps, it also looks like its been stabilised in post-processing. Overall very good quality video.
G6EJD

Postby Phantom Muppet » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm

G6EJD wrote:Well very acceptable results from your setup, I think the most important take-away for me is the power of the slow motion. If I was wanting to view a property, the last thing I'd want to see is a video that was dashing around the scene so I could not take in what I wanted to see and for me your video is just right.

It looks like it's about 1/3 of original frame rate, perhaps 20 or 24 fps, it also looks like its been stabilised in post-processing. Overall very good quality video.

Thanks!

It's 1080 60fps footage interpreted to 30fps. Shot in ProTune and CamRaw modes.

Stabilised with Warp Stabilizer in Premiere Pro.

Lens distortion reduced in After Effects.

Plus colour tuning and sharpening.
Phantom Muppet

Postby G6EJD » Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Interesting as I haven't used ProTune yet, what you have shown is its not necessary to spend a lot on the gimbal, etc.
G6EJD

Postby Gizmo3000 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 am

what's UBEC?

I managed to get acceptable results as well with my Quadframe, it doesn't counteract abrupt motions very well, but it does a fair job of keeping the camera level during flight
- especially if you can fly smooth and the wind isn't too bad.

I added some Kyosho anti-vibration pads as well.
Gizmo3000

Postby Phantom Muppet » Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 am

The Phantom / NAZA manual suggests NOT to power the servos from the NAZA itself. It can pull too much power and cause the controller to crash... equaling a physical crash!

A UBEC is a small device that cuts down the 12v supply in the Phantom (there is a spare feed already supplied - you will find it tucked away in the rubber plug on one of the landing leg attachments) to the 6V the servos need. The NAZA is only 5V.

With 6V they will have more torque and move faster.

I also try to film in ATTI mode as in GPS mode there are small corrections to keep it in one position which can reduce stability.
Phantom Muppet

Postby Gizmo3000 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:11 am

I see,. hmm,. interesting. (nobody really educated me on that when I bought my Quadframe,. assumed that just connecting the servo wires would make it work as normal).
haven't had any issues tho, but perhaps I'll try changing things out before my Arris gimbal arrives.
Is this perhaps why everyone is complaining about stuttering with their servo based gimbals?

So you spliced the servo wires so that they'll get 6v from the UBEC?
(is there any tutorial or diagrams on the subject?)
Gizmo3000

Postby Phantom Muppet » Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 am

HI Gizmo,

There isn't really any documentation surrounding the Quadframe or settings etc.

I definitely think the stuttering is reduced with the correct voltage.

I used Aeroxcrafts guide..

http://www.aeroxcraft.com/content/downl ... arness.pdf

Its pretty simple to make - although I am sure I can make a few for beer tokens. :D

David
Phantom Muppet

Postby airstreamer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Would be interresting to know what settings are you using on the gains
airstreamer

Postby Phantom Muppet » Wed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm

30 on pitch and 50 on roll.

Servo is way faster now it has 6v.
Phantom Muppet

Postby Phantom Muppet » Thu May 23, 2013 8:28 am

If anybody wants a wiring harness for the UBEC to drive the servos then I have another one, for some beer tokens. :D

I made one more to fit inside the Phantom so the servo plugs for the Gimbal come out of one of the holes by the landing legs. Its just a bit trickier to make as you have to feed your wires through and then do the soldering.

Otherwise with the one I have spare you can put the servo plugs out the battery door.

Photo 22-05-2013 20 46 32.jpg

If anyone wants it, drop me a PM.

I used this UBEC from Hobby king and connected it to the spare 12v lead inside the Phantom...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

The connection to the UBEC is outside the Phantom so I can disconnect if need be. Ill make it out of JST connectors (when they arrive!) so I could use a small LiPo purely for the servos, just velcro'd to the bottom of the Phantom.

David
Phantom Muppet

Postby jonnyboyb79 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:28 pm

HI Guys

Apologises for my ignorance, but I thought I'd ask you all as you seem to be chatting Gopro Gimbals. I've had my phantom for a few months. I am pretty new to this quadcopter malarky but loving it and liking the results I am finally getting from the gopro. I've not read much into Gimbals, but how does one power them? Is there a way of using the Lipro battery and splitting the feed? Also is it straight forward to fit one? I am keen to get one on the go!

thanks
jonnyboyb79

Postby Phantom Muppet » Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm

jonnyboyb79 wrote:HI Guys

Apologises for my ignorance, but I thought I'd ask you all as you seem to be chatting Gopro Gimbals. I've had my phantom for a few months. I am pretty new to this quadcopter malarky but loving it and liking the results I am finally getting from the gopro. I've not read much into Gimbals, but how does one power them? Is there a way of using the Lipro battery and splitting the feed? Also is it straight forward to fit one? I am keen to get one on the go!

thanks

HI Jonny,

The gimbals are powered either by servos or the same kind of motors that run the propellors (brushless).

Brushless gimbals are newer technology and provide better performance.

If you read my posts above you will see I use a gimbal from Quadframe. It is pretty easy to fit and the two servos in theory will plug directly into the NAZA flight controller. You will of course need to open up the phantom. DJI don't recommend powering the servos directly from the NAZA though.

Therefore you can do as you suggest and split the feed from the LiPo but you would need to step down the voltage. Or you can use the spare feed inside the Phantom at 12v and step this down to 6V for the servos, using a device called a UBEC.

Read a few of the posts above and hopefully it will make sense!

D
Phantom Muppet

Return to Phantom 1