How to edit GoPro HD video

Phantom 1 Chat, Queries and Advice.

Moderators: Richard, 1275mini

How to edit GoPro HD video

Postby Nutz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm

A couple of things I have learned (as a media tutor in secondary school in England) about editing GoPro footage.

1) You can't take material straight off the card and dump it in your editor. The GoPro uses long-GOP format which means you won't be able to get frame-accurate editing. At very least the video will stutter in most editors. Better to convert it to AVI format (you can batch convert) using the free Cineform Studio - there are other converters.

2) looking at ProDad as a means of removing 'jello' - but this is not an issue if you balance props and use a decent mount.

3) Favourite video editor is Corel videostudio x6 - especially with a dual-monitor setup. Colour and detail are superb. Closely followed by Sony Vegas (either full version which is pricey, or Platinum which is cut-down but outstanding. Both permit authoring to devices and/or to Blu-ray.
Nutz

Re: How to edit GoPro HD video

Postby Phantom Muppet » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 am

Adobe Premiere can read the native format and therefore saves conversion.
Phantom Muppet

Postby Gizmo3000 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 am

Phantom Muppet wrote:Adobe Premiere can read the native format and therefore saves conversion.

almost any video editing app can read GoPro video, but the codec gopro uses to encode it's movies is NOT ideal for editing videos.
transcoding to another codec is preferable.
that's what GoPro Cineform is for in the first place. (it first trancodes and then allow you to edit further if you wish)
Gizmo3000

Postby Ali in Austria » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:27 am

If you use FCPX, just import it through MPeg-Clipstream (a free App) and convert it to Apple Pro Res or just about anything you like.
Ali in Austria

Postby Nutz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:25 pm

What is “Long-GOP MPEG2” and why does it make a difference for editing?

Until now, most production video formats for recording and editing have used various forms of “intra-frame” compression. This means that all data for an individual frame is packaged together. Because all information for each frame was kept together so you could take the data for any one frame and view it or edit it independently of all others. Long-GOP MPEG2 is an “inter-frame” compression, which means that data for multiple frames is packaged together. In the case of 1080i HDV, the GOP (Group-Of-Pictures) is 15 frames long. This makes it difficult to view or edit individual frames because you may need information stored in nearby frames to complete the picture. Editing systems need to take this into account to allow for edits to take place at any frame boundary (not just the beginning or end of the 15 frame GOP).

Believe me - you do need to convert GoPro before editing!
Nutz

Postby Phantom Muppet » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Gizmo3000 wrote:
Phantom Muppet wrote:Adobe Premiere can read the native format and therefore saves conversion.

almost any video editing app can read GoPro video, but the codec gopro uses to encode it's movies is NOT ideal for editing videos.
transcoding to another codec is preferable.
that's what GoPro Cineform is for in the first place. (it first trancodes and then allow you to edit further if you wish)

Hey Gizmo,

I don't have any issue editing the RAW footage in Premiere. Especially with ProTune on and CamRAW, Premiere does a nice job of porducing good colour and detail.

Plus, one less extra step. ;)
Phantom Muppet

Postby flyboytyler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I started with Sony Vegas Home edition (can be found pretty cheap on amazon) and found it pretty easy to use. Eventually as I added more cameras to my plane, and had multiple video streams to edit together I moved up to Sony Vegas Pro. Managed to get it at a pretty good price as an upgrade on amazon.
flyboytyler

Postby mroberts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 am

Which editors support fisheye correction?
mroberts

Postby duckeyejey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 pm

After Effects.

Effects>Distort>Optics Compensation

you'll need to tweak the value depending on the footage

you'll also need to check the Reverse Lens Distortion box.
duckeyejey

Postby JCFlippen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 am

I use Apple FCP X without any problems. It transcodes the camera files into Prores.
JCFlippen

Return to Phantom 1