Thanks for the advice guys. The ARF kit sounds like definitely the way to go. I guess the battery and the APM setup were the main things I really had no idea about.
Just so I can be sure... does it look like there's anything missing from the following shopping list?
- DJI F450 ARF kit - $209.99
- APM 2.6 set (http://www.uavrobotics.com.au/side-entr ... p-140.html
) - $189
- APM power module with XT60 connectors - $29.95
- 3DR uBlox GPS with compass - $99.60
- DJI GPS Stand (http://arkrc.com.au/dji-gps-stand-suit- ... -and-naza/
) - $14.99 - Rilot, is this what you meant by a "spare GPS pole"?
- T5000.3S.25C Turnigy 5000mAH 3S 25C Lipo (http://arkrc.com.au/t5000-3s-25c-turnig ... -25c-lipo/
) - $49.99
- XT60 battery connectors (F-M and M-F) - $7.90 for the pair
- Futaba T8J Tx/Rx combo (http://arkrc.com.au/fut8jm1-futaba-8j-8 ... sb-mode-1/
) - $285
- EV-PEAK 1-6S 6A LiPo/LiFe Balance Charger/Discharger AP606 (http://www.hobbytech.com.au/products/rc ... ger-ap606/
) - $50
I already have a pretty good soldering iron that ought to do the job.
All up it comes to AUD$936.42 (plus shipping of course) - not as much as I'd feared it might be!
And just a couple more beginner-level questions...
- The APM set is available in "top-entry" and "side-entry" configurations - which fits best in an F450?
- The Futaba comes in "Mode 1" and "Mode 2" - what's the difference? What's recommended?
- I've just picked a cheap charger and a battery that was the closest I could find to 3S/400mAh - have I chosen wisely?